Do you think about the cosmetics or personal care products that you apply daily? You may be surprised to learn that you could be slathering a host of toxic chemicals all over your body. What you may be applying for its “anti-aging” benefits, may very well be not only age-accelerating toxins, but hazardous to your overall health. With regular cosmetic use, your body could be absorbing up to five pounds of chemicals annually!
Although the Environmental Protection Agency approves 700 new chemicals into the consumer marketplace each year, these products are not as stringently tested as you might assume. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration states that it “cannot require companies to do safety testing of their cosmetic products before manufacturing.”
The most common toxic chemicals found in cosmetic and beauty products:
- Parabens: chemicals commonly used as preservatives in cosmetics, found in products such as shampoos, body lotions, face creams, toothpastes, shaving gels and spray tanning lotions. They have been shown to mimic the action of estrogen, which can evoke breast cancer, and accelerate aging. On ingredients lists, look to avoid methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben and butylparaben.
- Triclosan: chemical commonly found in household products such as toothpastes, soaps and lotions, potentially leading to infertility, obesity, cancer, age acceleration, liver tumors and can disrupt hormone activity.
It is alarming, but the key is to do your research and be proactive about moving away from hazardous chemicals toward safer alternatives. While you can’t avoid toxic chemical exposure completely, you can limit your exposure as well as detoxify your body’s system. Adding supplements such as Milk Thistle or a Detox Formula to your daily regimen has been shown to play a crucial role in maintaining good health amidst our chemically laden environment.
Find natural alternatives for healthy beauty. Look for skin care that doesn’t contain free-radical enhancing chemicals. Here are just a few that we trust and support:
Hotze Skin Renewal Cream: an anti-aging formula, which is compounded by Hotze Pharmacy and is available by prescription in a paraben-free cream base, and formulated to improve skin tone and firmness while minimizing wrinkles. It can be used both morning and night, where improvement in skin texture and tone may be visible after several weeks. The maximum benefits will be reached around four to six months after complete cell turnover has taken place. The renewal cream contains:
- Vitamin C: promotes synthesis of collagen and elastin; protects skin from UV damage.
- Azelaic Acid: antibacterial; reduces uneven skin pigmentation.
- DMAE: improves skin tone.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid: antioxidant; minimizes fine wrinkles.
- Co-enzyme Q10: reduces damage caused by free radicals; boosts skin repair and regeneration.
- Aloe Vera Oil: antibacterial; virucidal; antifungal; anti-inflammatory; moisturizer.
- Estriol: improves elasticity and firmness; decreases wrinkle depth and pore size; increases skin thickness; increases lipid production; improves skin hydration.
- Progesterone: increases skin firmness; decreases wrinkle depth.
In addition, Hotze Vitamins offers a full line of natural skin care products by Skyn ICELAND Solutions, which does not contain parabens, sulfates, mineral oil, petroleum, formaldehyde or paraffin. Also, Physician’s Preference offers Tropical Traditions coconut lip balms and lotion made with 100 percent natural ingredients.