As you get older, you may start to notice symptoms like brain fog and memory loss. You can’t recall where you left your keys and your friend’s name escapes your mind. You can’t focus as well at work. You may even be worrying about getting a disease such as dementia or Alzheimer’s. There are many steps you can take to help preserve your memory, improve brain function and keep your mind in great shape.
9 Ways to Keep Your Brain Sharp
1. Exercise Your Brain – We all know that it’s important to exercise our body in order to keep it in tip top shape, and the same principle applies to your brain. The more you use it, the sharper it will be. Your brain can become slow and sluggish from inactivity. The key is to challenge yourself and make yourself think. Do something new that you’ve never done before. Be creative. Do complex activities. There are activities and exercises you can do to stimulate exercise your brain:
• Puzzles – Sudoku, crossword puzzles
• Learn to play a new instrument
• Learn a foreign language
• Do math in your head
• Get a new hobby such as gardening, crafts, chess
2. Physicial Exercise – Exercise helps protect memory and thinking skills. It increases serotonin, dopamine and norephinephrine, the feel good brain chemicals. It protects against mental decline and reduces the risk of dementia. Research studies show an association between higher levels of physical activity and a reduced risk of cognitive decline and dementia. Regardless of any effect on cognition, physical activity should be encouraged, as it has been shown to be beneficial on numerous levels.(1) Exercise increases brain activity in the bilateral frontal cortex which is linked with concentration and decision making; it also promotes the growth of new neuropathways for learning.
3. Meditation – Training your mind to be quiet requires your brain to work hard. Meditation helps improve memory. It is also possible that meditation helps to increase the grey matter of the brain.
4. Organic Fruits and Vegetables – It is important to eat right for your brain. Stay away from processed, packaged and sugar-laden foods that contribute to inflammation. Fruits and vegetables are loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to protect your brain. Here are six superfoods for brain health.
5. Omega-3 Fats – Fats make up a good portion of your brain. Omega-3s are an essential fatty acid crucial for good brain function. Omega-3 fats help promote new brain cell formation. They also reduce inflammation. Omega-3s are found in fish (mackerel and salmon have some of the highest amounts), fish oil, walnuts, Chia seeds, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds and eggs.
6. Optimal Hormone Levels – Your hormones are necessary for proper brain function. Hypothyroidism can cause decrease in mental sharpness, lack of focus and memory. Estrogen, progesterone and testosterone act directly on nerve cells in the brain, protecting those cells from attack by neurotoxins and free radicals. They also enhance blood flow, protecting the brain from memory loss and dementia.
7. Sound Sleep –Sleep is important for good memory and it also has a restorative function. Lack of sleep impairs reasoning, problem-solving, and attention to detail. Sleep helps restore the brain by flushing out toxins that build up during waking hours. Scientists reported that the glymphatic system can help remove a toxic protein called beta-amyloid from brain tissue. Beta-amyloid is renowned for accumulating in the brains of patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Other research has shown that brain levels of beta-amyloid decrease during sleep. (2)
8. Brain Tap – Our Hotze Brain Renew Program utilizes the BrainTap technology which consists of a headset that delivers gentle pulses of light and sound combined with visualization, guided imagery and soothing music in audio sessions to take you to the profound levels of relaxation known for focus, learning, achievement and healing. This technology puts your brain into a super learning state (alpha and theta brainwave patterns) and promotes the release of chemicals associated with pleasure, learning, memory and creativity.
9. Cognitive Support – Cognitive Support at Hotze Vitamins is a comprehensive formula that contains a variety of natural compounds vital to maintaining brain health and function: Acetyl L-Carnitine, Phosphatidylserine, Glycerophosphocholine, Ginkgo Biloba, Citicoline and coffee fruit concentrate.
Are Your Hormones Out of Balance?
We believe that you should find the underlying cause of your symptoms so that you can resolve them naturally. Take our symptom checker quiz to find out if hormone deficiencies or hypothyroidism could be the cause of your brain fog and memory loss.