Are you feeling a bit run-down, achy, and not quite your usual self lately, although you just can’t seem to figure out why? You may even have other symptoms such as brain fog, difficulty losing weight, constipation, muscle fatigue, smelly breath, unpleasant body odors, or acne outbreaks—all of which may point to one thing: Your body needs detoxing.
This can be compounded through living in an urban environment, consuming alcohol, tobacco or drugs (including prescription), or adhering to a diet which includes processed foods, simple sugars, and too many unhealthy types of fats.
However, by detoxing your body, you can get back to feeling healthier and more clear-headed, as well as lower your risk for many diseases associated with toxic buildup and autoimmunity, including diabetes and cancer. (1)
Here is what you need to know about the benefits of detoxing, and how it can help you live a cleaner, healthier, more energetic life.
When it comes to our modern world, our air, water, and much of our food supply contain toxins. And, even though the human body has its own filtering and regenerative systems, these systems can be overwhelmed by high levels of modern-world toxins, to the point that they cannot function as they should. This can leave you not only feeling lousy, but also at risk for illness, weight gain, disease, and other health problems associated with an accumulation of toxins.
However, by performing a detox – which can mean anything from doing a detox program, a colon cleanse, a liver cleanse, or improving your eating plan to include natural whole foods while avoiding tobacco, alcohol or drugs, you can improve many facets of your health, including your energy, weight management, immune health and outlook. (2)
Where Toxins Come From
There was a time when all of our food came from the earth using natural growing practices, fertilizers, feed and pest control. However, times have changed, and we now rely on what is available at the grocery store for our food, which is often commercially grown produce, factory farmed meats, fish and dairy, as well as other foods which have been conventionally grown or are highly processed.
However, the unfortunate fact of the matter is that modern farming techniques involve the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers and added hormones. Genetically modified (GMO) foods also allow heavy use of pesticides and herbicides, such as in the case of “Roundup-resistant” GMOs, and their escalating presence may mean even higher levels of toxins in our food and water supplies. This is in addition to airborne toxins from vehicle exhaust, manufacturing pollutants, and agricultural waste, as well as runoff of animal waste, pesticides and nitrates into our waterways. (3)
Our water supplies also carry other contaminants, many of which are used to treat it for “safe” drinking. These can include chlorine, which is one of the most common disinfectants used to treat U.S. tap water. Unfortunately, not only is chlorine a toxin which can cause irritation to the eyes and nasal tissues, anemia, and neurological problems in children, other byproducts are created when water is disinfected, such as bromate or haloacedic acids which have been linked to liver and kidney problems.
Personal care products such as make-up, shampoo, lotions and soaps also contain chemicals such as parabens, phthalates, triclosan, polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, tolulene, and sodium lauryl sulfate, to name a few.
All of this goes along with other chemicals found in our water, air and food which can accumulate in your body, such as heavy metals, arsenic and even radiation, which is why a regular detox is recommended. (4)
When to Detox
While taking a proactive approach to detoxing is advised, there are some symptoms which indicate you need to perform a detox.
Here are the most common signs indicating toxic buildup in your body, although there may be other symptoms as well:
- Body odor – When toxins accumulate in your system to the point that your body’s natural filtration can’t remove them fast enough, it causes bad breath, smelly perspiration, and acidic-smelling urine and feces. This is when your body’s excretion systems—AKA, the urinary and bowel systems—have become so backed up that they are essentially clogged, and your body begins going through other means of ridding itself of toxins, which are essentially rotting in the body. This can mean removing toxins through excessive perspiration or saliva, which is why stinky breath and stinky arm pits mean it’s time to detox!
- Brain fog – The more neurotransmitters are studied, the more evidence there is of them originating in the gut before being sent to the brain. This “gut-brain connection” may explain the relation of brain fog, mental fatigue and depression with a need to detox. (5)
- Muscle aches and fatigue – In addition to general fatigue from poor health related to toxic buildup, the presence of mycotoxins from water-born molds has also been found to be a common reason for fatigue, muscle aches, and aching joints.
- Chemical sensitivities – In today’s world, we are increasingly becoming exposed to chemical toxins which can build up to the point that they overpower the immune system and become allergens. This can essentially be thought of as the body saying “Enough!” and can cause many unpleasant and even dangerous symptoms, such as a rash, headache, asthma, sneezing and runny nose. (6)
- Constipation, bloating and gas – Toxic buildup in the body can lead to an imbalance of beneficial gut bacteria. This can cause gas, bloating and constipation, and can lead to much worse health problems, such as cancer or diabetes. (7)
- Weight gain – Toxins build up in the liver and fat cells, and this can cause your metabolism to slow down, leading to seemingly unexplained weight gain. Hypothyroidism can also lead to weight gain, so if you haven’t had your thyroid function checked, it would be helpful to do so. If you are on thyroid supplementation and have optimal thyroid function, then toxic overload could very well be the the underlying cause of your weight gain.
Heavy metal contamination can also lead to constipation and abdominal cramps, as well as many other dangerous health and mental problems.
The good news is, that whether you are suffering from an imbalance of probiotics, or if prolonged exposure to lead or other heavy metals has left your system contaminated, a cleanse can help. (8)
Natural Ways to Detox
Whether you are showing symptoms of toxic buildup, or if you live in an urban area or other environments with high levels of contaminants, doing a good detox program is in your best interest. A good place to start is with an herbal supplement which supports your body’s natural detoxification process, such as the Detox Formula by Dr. Hotze. This simple and convenient supplement contains herbs such as dandelion root and milk thistle root which can help cleanse your liver and improve its overall function for clearer mental function, better outlook, and more energy.
Dr. Hotze also has a 14-Day Detox Kit that was designed to support the body’s natural two-phase detoxification process. It includes Pure Cleanse Detox Powder, Pure Pea Protein Powder, My HotzePak 14-Day Detox Pak of vitamins, a Detox Guidebook and tote bag.
And, there are other things you can do to naturally rid your body of dangerous toxic buildup, such as:
Exercise – Regular exercise has many health benefits, not the least of which is helping rid your body of contaminants. This is because exercise induces sweating, and sweating is one of your body’s means of ridding itself of excess toxins, including heavy metals. Plus, a daily exercise session will encourage you to drink more water, although you need to avoid the mentality of “I exercised—now I can eat whatever I want!” This is because not all calories are the same, and what you eat also makes a difference in your body’s toxicity levels.
Healthy Eating Plan – By avoiding processed foods and conventionally-raised meats in favor plenty of organic fruits and vegetables, fresh fish (from either cold water or low on the food chain to avoid heavy metals), poultry and grass-fed beef, you can help keep your body’s natural cleansing process from being overwhelmed. Remember that processed foods and conventionally-raised meats contain high amounts of omega-6 fatty acids and refined fats, all of which can cause oxidative stress, inflammation, and toxic build up. (9)
Drink Plenty of Water – One of the simplest and most effective ways for you to help keep your body cleansed is by drinking plenty of purified water. This means drinking beyond your thirst and making sure your urine is never dark-colored and concentrated. Instead, make sure your urine is the color of pale lemonade, and that you are urinating regularly—though not excessively—throughout the day. If your urine becomes completely pale and you are urinating too often, you need to drink a little less, since excessive water consumption can cause low levels of essential minerals and electrolytes. (10)
You can also add some lemon juice and/or raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to purified water for additional cleansing—not to mention it adds a pleasantly tart flavor!
Plan Your Detox Today
Whether you need a liver cleanse, a colon cleanse, or just a good daily exercise session along with an eating plan with plenty of purified water and whole, natural and organic foods, detoxing is in your best interest.
And, whether you live in an urban area or are otherwise in contact with environmental contaminants, using a product such as Detox Formula by Dr. Hotze can be a simple, safe and natural way for you to rid your body of dangerous toxic buildup.
However, continuing to allow toxic buildup is a recipe for disaster. Not only can it leave you listless, foggy and constipated, it can also lead to dangerous health problems, not the least of which is cancer.
So live clean and cleanse often—your health depends upon it!
Are you suffering from symptoms of hormone decline?
Another reason that women and men don’t feel as well as they should could be from symptoms of hormone decline. At the Hotze Health & Wellness Center, we help give people their lives back, naturally. If you are struggling with symptoms of hypothyroidism or hormone decline and imbalance such as low energy, poor sleep, brain fog, anxiety, low libido and weight gain, then take our symptom checker to help find out what’s going on. Contact us at 281-698-8698 for a complimentary wellness consultation with a Wellness Consultant. It will be our privilege to serve you.