Hormonal After Effects of a Tubal Ligation

By: | Tags: , | Comments: 38 | August 17th, 2016

Hormonal After Effects of Tubal Ligation

Have you had a tubal ligation or had your tubes tied? If so, then you probably didn’t expect to have any problems after this procedure. Your doctor may have told you that you wouldn’t feel any differently. The reality is, many women do notice changes after a tubal ligation.

During tubal ligation surgery, the fallopian tubes, which connect the ovaries to the uterus, are cut or blocked to prevent pregnancy. Women often refer to this procedure as having their “tubes tied.” In this video, Dr. Sheridan explains the hormonal effects of tubal ligation. (We’ll give you a hint: you’re NOT crazy!)

Michelle’s Question
“What happens to my hormones after a tubal ligation? I was told I would be fine, but now I feel like I’m going crazy because I feel so bad. I’m tired all the time. I have weight gain and migraines, and I am so moody.”

Video Transcript:

Dr. Sheridan: Michelle, I’m Dr. David Sheridan. You asked a really good question. When your tubes are tied they not only crimp the fallopian tube, but they include the blood vessel that goes to each ovary and they do this on each side. The ovary does get blood supply from two vessels, but so do a lot of tissues. That doesn’t mean you can cut one off, or crimp it and block it, and the tissue’s not affected. We see this from time to time in women who have their tubes tied. You might lose a little bit of each ovary and feel fine. You can lose a lot of each ovary, they can be left severely damaged, and almost throw hormones around randomly.

What this often does is affect a woman’s ability to make progesterone more so than estrogen for reasons that are not well understood. She can be left estrogen dominant, it’s a tricky term, but it really means progesterone deficient allowing estrogen effects to dominate. Estrogen becomes the dominant hormone.

This can cause severe mood swings, irritability, headaches, and even migraines. You can start swelling and have fluid retention. It can be mild, moderate, or even devastating. Just like PMS, some women are affected mildly; some are devastated by their symptoms. It’s the same cause even though the woman with PMS maybe didn’t have her tubes tied. It’s progesterone deficiency allowing estrogen to dominate. Fibroids, fibrocystic breast disease, endometriosis, ovarian cysts – these are other things that are caused by progesterone deficiency.

The biggest problem may be that progesterone’s your biggest bone builder, and it’s very important to help the brain repair itself. Progesterone’s probably your biggest anti-cancer compound. What we know in women that do not ovulate is that they have a 540% increase in breast cancer, a 1,000% increase in overall cancer mortality. These numbers are greater than the difference between smokers and non-smokers. I’m not saying that you make no progesterone, but you’re not making enough to balance the estrogen you have, causing symptoms that can be quite severe, threatening your bones, and also, in my opinion, raising cancer risks.

For someone with your problem, I would strongly recommend getting actual bioidentical progesterone from a doctor who knows how to adjust the dosage properly. It’s going to be best for your symptoms, way better than any drug, period. It’s going to be best for your health, because progesterone is very safe, and does not cause cancer. It actually protects against cancer, probably better than anything else.

You’re not crazy, but your doctors may be, because this has been going on a long time. I have been asked this, now I didn’t know what was going on, but when I was a resident, I didn’t know bioidentical hormones from my shoes. I did have women ask me, “I just had my tubes tied, could that make me feel bad?” Not all women, but many women, have their tubes tied and do okay, but some do not, because their ovaries are significantly damaged, and it continually makes them more and more estrogen dominant, in some cases even menopausal.

Elaina’s Story

“After a tough birth that resulted in a c-section along with having
a tubal ligation (without understanding the possible side effects),
I came home much different than I had left. I was depressed and gaining weight. “

Elaina used to be active, always running 5Ks, but after her tubal ligation she became fatigued and depressed. She started gaining weight and lost her sex drive. Her husband felt like he lost his wife. Click here to read Elaina’s story and find out how she got her life back.

symptom-checker-cta-gold

Related Articles
Bioidentical Hormones – The Common Sense Solution
5 Points in Life When Women Suffer from Estrogen Dominance
12 Reasons You Can’t Live Without Progesterone

Comments

38 thoughts on “Hormonal After Effects of a Tubal Ligation

1. Rose Sutherland

If, after an ectopic pregnancy, oestrogen levels are higher and progesterone levels low….doesn’t it beg the question that , if a woman subsequently gives birth to a boy, it may in fact , give rise to him being of a more feminine ‘bent’…?

• Debbie

Asking the same question as above, how about the effects of both control pills? I think these are very good questions that should be investaged further.

• Yolymar

This makes perfect sense bc in 2010 I got a permanent birth control called essure.
      The doctor explained that at 21 I had no other option but to insert coils in my tubes because they couldn’t tie them by law.
      I was desevated with 3 pregnancies and two miscarriages I couldn’t literally afford to have any more kids.
      I have had symptoms ever since 2010
      From extensive bleeding for about 3 months 2 cyst growing in my uterus two migraines that were excessive lower abdominal pain that would make me crawl in a ball to
      Water retention in my knees and I believe my stomach.
      My stomach is constantly bloated I noticed the gain weight in just my stomach area along with the sharp pains, lost of memory to the point where I completely draw blanks .
      I need to remove this for health purposes but I don’t trust the hospital that approved the surgery.
      If you could help please reply am 27 and over all am pretty healthy but these symptoms have held my bc from doing a lot of things lately.
      Because i just don’t have the energy anymore
      Thanks in advance..

• Hotze Team

Dear Yolymar,

We are so sorry to hear what you have been going through. A tubal ligation can cause these symptoms of hormone decline. Please take our symptom checker to help identify what is going on: https://www.hotzehwc.com/symptom-checker/

The solution is to replace the missing hormones with bioidentical hormones. Please call our Wellness Consultants for a complimentary wellness consultation at 281-698-8698. It would be our privilege to serve you.

To your health,

Hotze Team

• Jade

You should check out the Facebook group-Essure Problems. You are not alone and there may be some helpful advice and resources for you. You probably shouldn’t go to an inexperienced Dr to have them removed.

Jade

2. Tianja

Thank you for this article/video. I had a child & my “tubes tided” at 38 years old. I had little to no PMS symptoms prior, but the symptoms were unbearable after the procedure. My mind would be transformed into someone I did not recognize. I would feel almost flu like symptoms with body aches, not to mention the outflow of blood was unimaginable. Now, 10 years later I’ve been on Progesterone for years and what a difference! I also take a DIM supplement as per my doctor. Thank you Dr. Hotze for all your help!

• Hotze Team

Dear Tianja,

We are so glad to hear how well you are doing on progesterone! That is wonderful news. Congratulations on taking charge of your health. Thank you so much for sharing your story. It will inspire other women.

• Jennifer Johnson

Dear Debbie,

DIM, the natural compound derived from cabbage-related vegetables, such as broccoli and cauliflower, has been shown to contain various properties that aid in hormone function in both men and women. Additionally, DIM is a superantioxidant that may promote optimal cell health, reducing the risk of developing certain cancers, such as breast, colon and prostate cancer. Here is a link to DIM on our Hotze Vitamins website: http://www.hotzevitamins.com/dim-100mg-60-softgels.html For more information, please contact one of our vitamin consultants at 281-646-1659. Thank you for your question!

3. Cheryl

I had a tubal ligation during my last c section at age 40 when having my daughter. It has,been the worst mistake of my life. So many things are different. I wish I could just feel like myself, instead of complete exhaustion, headaches, weight gain in midrift, horrific cycles. I too suffer from endometriosis and had excision a year ago. I was put on birth control in attempts to keep it at bay. I asked my Dr this question. If estrogen fuels endo, and endo produces it’s own estrogen then wouldn’t adding an estrogen birth control only increase an already dominant situation? Also, a friend of mine got on bio progesterone and is feeling better and sleeping great, so I inquired about why I didn’t need progesterone? I have always had to supplement during pregnancy and suffer pcos. The Dr told,me that progesterone would be far worse for endometriosis. So confused. Thank you for this article. I am so sick of everyone in my family telling me that I just need a hysterectomy which does NOT cute endo, and that there is no way having a tubal ligation changed my body at all, comparing me to themselves or others.

• Hotze Team

Dear Cheryl,

We are so sorry about your bad experience after your tubal ligation. This often occurs after women have a hysterectomy, as well. A tubal ligation can definitely affect your hormones and cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

We don’t believe that birth control pills are the answer. Your symptoms indicate that you could have hormone decline and imbalance after childbirth and your tubal ligation, and a hysterectomy is not the answer either, because you will still need to replenish and balance your hormones to relieve your symptoms and feel good again. Progesterone can actually help with endometriosis, as well as your other symptoms.

Please consider contacting one of our wellness consultants at 281-698-8698 for more information. We would be happy to help you balance your hormones and get your health back – and yourself back. Our doctors have been helping women with these types of symptoms for years with great success. We wish you great health.

• simangele

Iam having a problem on my menstruacial cycle iam changing dates dat makes me feel uncomfertable thinking iam pregnat again

4. Sunnie

So do you recommend getting your tubes tied? What other permanent birth control options do you recommend? Thanks for the input!

5. m

Same question as JLM2- I would like to know if this is true for salpingectomy as well? I was not myself for over a year after having the surgery. I’m normally a very patient person but found myself yelling and swearing my head off ALL the time. In addition to that, for the first four months or so I had difficulty functioning (cognitively) on a basic level and could not do simple tasks. It would come and go, but I was essentially an old lady with dementia for short periods of time in the months following my surgery. After that was over I became pregnant again straight away, and found that my rage issues completely and magically disappeared at about 4 weeks postpartum. Hormone issues? Or was this caused by something else?? Haven’t found any answers yet.

6. Maren

Hello Dr. Sheridan,

thank you for this interesting video. I am a bit desperate:

I have a sactosalpinx and my German school medical gyns tell me I have to undergo an salpingectomy (remove the right tube which is full of fluid). As I am already (in a very young age) a postmenopausal woman I know already a lot about hormons and my intuition already told me it can’t be good to remove a tube!!! I already have hormone problems: I cream a bit of progesterone, I cream a bit of estriol against dry vulva skin. I fasted 4 weeks which removed the hot flushes. I eat biologically with a lot of vegetables. And it was hard to find a good feeling. Now I don’t want to destroy my good feeling again and make it worse!!! It was such a hard work to get here.

My German doctors tell me it can’t heal itself. What about another fasting? And is there a cancer risk for tube cancer if I don’t let them remove it? What can I do from your sight? I really don’t want to remove the one cancer risk to produce a new one!!!
    Is there a way to have a paid skype with you?

Maren

• Hotze Team

Dear Jodi,

Thank you for your question. It is possible to have a tubal ligation reversed, however please check with your surgeon as to the details of this type of surgery and for more information.

You can obtain relief of your symptoms by restoring and balancing your hormones with bioidentical hormones. If we may be of service to you, please do not hesitate to call our wellness consultants for a complimentary consultation at 281-698-8698. We will be happy to help you!

To your health,

Hotze Team

7. Jody

Had my tubes tied 26 years ago and then had a hysterectomy 2 years ago I have had discharge from my breasts the entire time at first it was somewhat clear now it’s more like milk I have never breast fed my kids I am not sure if I am going through menopause as I no longer have a period I have had hot flashes since I was 35 just not sure if this is normal anything from you would be helpful. Thank you

• Hotze Team

Dear Jody,

Thank you for your question. If you have had a hysterectomy, then you are in menopause. If your ovaries were left in, then the blood supply to them has been compromised and they may not function as well, causing you to have symptoms.

Please take our symptom checker quiz to help identify the underlying cause of your symptoms: https://www.hotzehwc.com/symptom-checker/

You would need to see a physician for a comprehensive evaluation in order to help you find out what is going on. If you would like a complimentary wellness consultation with our wellness consultants, please private message us your contact information, or give us a call at 281-698-8698. We will be happy to help you.

To your health,

Hotze Team

8. Toppan

You actually get your progesterone from the egg or ovom itself. Every month you build the lining and an egg is released . If i dosnt vet fertilizsd it disolves and the progesterone in the egg is released and causes your period. And then the cycle begins again. It really maks sense why tubal litigation may be causing the esrrigen dominance alng with the phyto estrogen and supplementation given by doctors over the years. My question is, if they knew this, why do they perform this operation? And why do they treat us in such in unintuitive counter productive fashion?

9. Nicole

Had my tubes cut/temived 9 months ago after my 3rd pregnancy. I’m 29, stable at 136 lbs (6 lbs heavier than I was before pregnancy) and have not taken birth control in over 2 years. Since the tubes we’re “tied” I have had migraines like crazy, mood swings more often than I used to when I was a teenager, more aches and pains, foggy cognitive functions (like I’m not entirely present… Almost staring into space more than seems normal), my period is all out of whack, my appetite has vanished, I have trouble sleeping, feel tired all the time…. I haven’t had my levels tested but I’m fairly certain I’ve been estrogen dominant since I hit puberty at 8 yrs old! I’ve even noticed nail fungi taking root more easily so I assume my immune system has taken a hit too…. 🙁 Feels like I’m a stranger in my own body…. 3/25/18

• Hotze Team

Dear Nicole,

We are so sorry to hear what you are going through. After having a tubal ligation, it is common to experience symptoms of hormone decline and imbalance. Please don’t lose hope – you can resolve your symptoms by restoring hormone balance with bioidentical hormones. Take our symptom checker to find out what could be the cause of your symptoms: https://www.hotzehwc.com/symptom-checker/

You need to work with a doctor who can help you restore hormonal balance. If we may be of service to you, please call our Wellness Consultants for a complimentary consultation at 281-698-8698. We will be happy to help you.

To your health,

Hotze Team

• Peta

I think you just discribed me!! I am 3 days out from a total abdominal Hysterectomy (removal of Uterus & Cervix) and Salpingectomy (Fallopian Tubes). I have suffered immensely since my Tubal Ligation and Uterine Ablation 3 years ago. The reason for my hysterectomy was because my uterus was blocked with scar tissue after Ablation and whilst having the hysterectomy the Gyno took the Fallopian tubes due to the clips being misplaced! Original Gyno told me I had PMDD after Tubal and it was just a coincidence! Bullshit, Tubal Ligation can be completely life altering and not for the best! Peta

10. Martha

I’ve been very hesitant to get a tubal but I’m 40 years old with a 9 month old. I also have a 19 year old and a 14 year old. I get pregnant very very easily. I cannot take hormonal birth control because the side effects are too drastic. I definitely do not want to have anymore babies. I do not know what to do. I don’t trust the natural methods because of the body decides to change due to stress or other factors I feel like I will be pregnant instantly. I’m so against altering the body but I’m so certain I do not want anymore babies and need something to stop the process. 😩

11. Gladys

Background: I am 30 years old, female, and have never had a child. I have had two previous early-term miscarriages and a mifiprex abortion (at 9 weeks.)
    I have surgically confirmed endometriosis and “thin” variant PCOS.
    I have been on micronor- norethindrone, a progesterone-only birth control, for about 5 years to control endometriosis.
    I sought and received a bilateral salpingectomy (full cauterization/removal of the fallopian tubes) within the last 6 months as I have chosen not to have children.

After my bilateral sap, my breasts swelled about half a size larger and stayed like that. I’m filling out bras and shirts better than I have in the past.
    The goal of my progesterone birth control is to avoid periods entirely, as this helps control endometriosis. Despite this, I dealt with spotting and breakthrough bleeding quite regularly in the last 5 years. Since my surgery, I have found that the same dosage of birth control as always now completely controls my periods with almost no spotting at all.

I do not know why my experience is so different than most of the women’s comments here. Perhaps it is that I have progesterone replacement already in the form of my birth control. Hopefully this information is useful to someone.

• Hotze Team

Dear Gladys,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Real progesterone is not used in birth control pills. Progesterone promotes pregnancy. It may be a progestin, which is not progesterone. Birth control pills contain progestins. Oral contraceptives pose far greater health risks even beyond potentially fatal blood clots such as increased risk for developing certain types of cancer, including breast cancer. Unfortunately, many doctors mistakenly use the words “progesterone” and “progestin” interchangeably, when in fact they are not the same at all.

Today so many young girls are put on birth control pills in their early teens to combat the symptoms of PMS and irregular periods, but this does not solve the underlying problem and can only cause them more harm in the future. Birth control pills contain the synthetic hormones estrogen and progestin (not progesterone), and some contain only progestin. They are created to stop your body from ovulating and prevent the egg from being released from the ovary, which negatively affects hormone balance. Normally, when an egg is released from your ovary at ovulation, progesterone is also released. Since birth control pills stop you from ovulating, they prevent this release of progesterone. This is where the problem lies.

Here is an article that may be helpful:

If we may be of service to you, please contact our wellness consultants for a complimentary wellness consultation at 281-698-8698.

To your health,

Hotze Team

12. Kelly L Dohr

After reading all these comments, I will have to admit I am very nervous about my up coming tubal ligation. I’m not sure if I should take the chance. Does it seem that most women have bad experiences?

• Hotze Team

Dear Kelly,

Thank you for your question. We can’t speak as to whether or not most women have a bad experience, however we do hear from a lot that have and feel horrible afterwards. This procedure can affect the blood supply to your ovaries causing hormone decline and imbalance, often symptoms of menopause. We would suggest you speak with your surgeon about this and ask him or her all your questions. There are also patient forums online where women share their experiences about different health symptoms and conditions, so you could research that, as well.

We wish you the best in your decision.

To your health,

Hotze Team

• Adriana Duffany

Hi. Can I just start by saying that I feel as though having a tubal ligation should not be allowed, unless side effects are openly discussed by your OBGYN. I had a Tubal ligation, clips put on, and I regret having this procedure done. I have been very miserable with all the pain and horrible side effects after my tubal. I have experienced terrible migraines that are blinding to the point where I need to be in a dark room and just pray for the hours to pass by. I have never experienced migraines, besides when I was on birth control pills. I came off my pill and was migraine free. It was amazing. My husbanf and I finally decided that I would have a tubal. Three months later and I’m in terrible pain. I have horrible shoulder pain which i have never experienced before and I’m an active 5’7, 125lbs, 31 year old. Exercising and yoga are some of my passions, and after having this surgery, i can’t bare the shoulder pain, every joint in my body aches. I found a lump in my breast…which my mammogram came back normal, but i can’t expalin the painful lump on my breast. I also have stabbing pains on my ovaries from time to time. The pain is very sharp and it’s as if I’m being pinched. It’s a weird sensation. I’ve noticed my hips feel a little swollen as well as my abdomen. I still have radiating pain inside my belly button. On a less serious note, I’ve never had pimples, and I’ve noticed a few around my period. It’s as if I have a different body. I want my life back. I want to be pain free and be able to carry a normal life again. Please help me fix this situation. I want these clips out of my body! Please help. I don’t know much about the reversal or if that’s even safe. I don’t think insurance covers it either, but i need to fix this issue.
        Adriana

• Hotze Team

Dear Adriana,

We are so sorry to hear how much pain you are in. Having a tubal ligation can definitely affect your hormone production and cause many symptoms of hormone decline and imbalance. The solution is to restore the missing hormones, such as progesterone, with bioidentical progesterone that is identical to the progesterone made by your body. The pain on your ovaries sounds like it could be ovarian cysts, but you should have that evaluated by your doctor to be sure. If they are cysts, they can be extremely painful if they burst, so it would be best to visit with your doctor about that. You would also need to speak with your surgeon as to whether or not the procedure can be reversed.

Please take our symptom checker to see what symptoms could be caused by hormone imbalance and decline: https://www.hotzehwc.com/symptom-checker/

If we may be of service to you, please contact our Wellness Consultants for a complimentary wellness consultation at 281-698-8698. We will be happy to help you. You are in our prayers.

To your health,

Hotze Team

13. Alishia Emery

I had a tubal ligation 10 years ago and I was told I would be fine nothing would change with me or my body but I’ve have a lot of cystic acne , lactation in breast and I have had a hyperthyroidism since beginning. Any advise for the cystic acne Itreatment has takin over my life what once clear and beautiful face I had is now just covered with cystic acne . I tried going to the doctor who did my ligation and was told I was just having a baby fever and was turned away so I went to another doctor and found out all the things wrong with me . Please help

14. Waheed Gul

Hi. my wife had tubal ligation done 2 years ago after her 4th pregnancy. She is 33, weighs 85Kg. Since the tubes were “tied” she has started having mood swings, migraines, lot of sweating, weight gain even though she is exercising regularly and taking good control of her diet. Her period is all out of whack, and her appetite has vanished. She has trouble sleeping, feels tired all the time…. She has developed ovarian cyst as well and feels quite low and weak because of all this … She went to see her doctor and was told she had hormonal imbalance and was tested to prove that right. We live in Abu Dhabi, United Arab emirates. Is there a way she can do Bioidentical Hormonal Therapy while here? How does the procedure work? Your opinion will be highly appreciated. Thanks

• Hotze Team

Dear Waheed,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to hear what your wife is going through. Those are all symptoms of hormone decline and imbalance and it is common after a tubal ligation. Since the blood supply to the ovaries is now compromised, they don’t function as well as they used to. The solution is to restore the missing hormones with bioidentical hormones that are identical to those made by her body.

We are not aware of any bioidentical hormone doctors in Abu Dhabi, however, for your consideration, we do see patients from all over the world. She would only need to come here in person for the initial comprehensive visit with our doctor, then after that, all her follow-up appointments may be done via phone. If you would like to consider this, then please call our Wellness Consultants for a complimentary consultation at 281-698-8698. We will be happy to help.

We sincerely wish you the best.

To your health,