Hormonal After Effects of a Tubal Ligation

By: | Tags: , | Comments: 21 | August 17th, 2016

Hormonal After Effects of Tubal Ligation

Have you had a tubal ligation or had your tubes tied? If so, then you probably didn’t expect to have any problems after this procedure. Your doctor may have told you that you wouldn’t feel any differently. The reality is, many women do notice changes after a tubal ligation.

During tubal ligation surgery, the fallopian tubes, which connect the ovaries to the uterus, are cut or blocked to prevent pregnancy. Women often refer to this procedure as having their “tubes tied.” In this video, Dr. Sheridan explains the hormonal effects of tubal ligation. (We’ll give you a hint: you’re NOT crazy!)

Michelle’s Question
“What happens to my hormones after a tubal ligation? I was told I would be fine, but now I feel like I’m going crazy because I feel so bad. I’m tired all the time. I have weight gain and migraines, and I am so moody.”

Video Transcript:

Dr. Sheridan: Michelle, I’m Dr. David Sheridan. You asked a really good question. When your tubes are tied they not only crimp the fallopian tube, but they include the blood vessel that goes to each ovary and they do this on each side. The ovary does get blood supply from two vessels, but so do a lot of tissues. That doesn’t mean you can cut one off, or crimp it and block it, and the tissue’s not affected. We see this from time to time in women who have their tubes tied. You might lose a little bit of each ovary and feel fine. You can lose a lot of each ovary, they can be left severely damaged, and almost throw hormones around randomly.

What this often does is affect a woman’s ability to make progesterone more so than estrogen for reasons that are not well understood. She can be left estrogen dominant, it’s a tricky term, but it really means progesterone deficient allowing estrogen effects to dominate. Estrogen becomes the dominant hormone.

This can cause severe mood swings, irritability, headaches, and even migraines. You can start swelling and have fluid retention. It can be mild, moderate, or even devastating. Just like PMS, some women are affected mildly; some are devastated by their symptoms. It’s the same cause even though the woman with PMS maybe didn’t have her tubes tied. It’s progesterone deficiency allowing estrogen to dominate. Fibroids, fibrocystic breast disease, endometriosis, ovarian cysts – these are other things that are caused by progesterone deficiency.

The biggest problem may be that progesterone’s your biggest bone builder, and it’s very important to help the brain repair itself. Progesterone’s probably your biggest anti-cancer compound. What we know in women that do not ovulate is that they have a 540% increase in breast cancer, a 1,000% increase in overall cancer mortality. These numbers are greater than the difference between smokers and non-smokers. I’m not saying that you make no progesterone, but you’re not making enough to balance the estrogen you have, causing symptoms that can be quite severe, threatening your bones, and also, in my opinion, raising cancer risks.

For someone with your problem, I would strongly recommend getting actual bioidentical progesterone from a doctor who knows how to adjust the dosage properly. It’s going to be best for your symptoms, way better than any drug, period. It’s going to be best for your health, because progesterone is very safe, and does not cause cancer. It actually protects against cancer, probably better than anything else.

You’re not crazy, but your doctors may be, because this has been going on a long time. I have been asked this, now I didn’t know what was going on, but when I was a resident, I didn’t know bioidentical hormones from my shoes. I did have women ask me, “I just had my tubes tied, could that make me feel bad?” Not all women, but many women, have their tubes tied and do okay, but some do not, because their ovaries are significantly damaged, and it continually makes them more and more estrogen dominant, in some cases even menopausal.

Elaina’s Story

“After a tough birth that resulted in a c-section along with having
a tubal ligation (without understanding the possible side effects),
I came home much different than I had left. I was depressed and gaining weight. “

Elaina used to be active, always running 5Ks, but after her tubal ligation she became fatigued and depressed. She started gaining weight and lost her sex drive. Her husband felt like he lost his wife. Click here to read Elaina’s story and find out how she got her life back.

symptom-checker-cta-gold

Related Articles
Bioidentical Hormones – The Common Sense Solution
5 Points in Life When Women Suffer from Estrogen Dominance
12 Reasons You Can’t Live Without Progesterone

Comments

21 thoughts on “Hormonal After Effects of a Tubal Ligation

1. Rose Sutherland

If, after an ectopic pregnancy, oestrogen levels are higher and progesterone levels low….doesn’t it beg the question that , if a woman subsequently gives birth to a boy, it may in fact , give rise to him being of a more feminine ‘bent’…?

2. Tianja

Thank you for this article/video. I had a child & my “tubes tided” at 38 years old. I had little to no PMS symptoms prior, but the symptoms were unbearable after the procedure. My mind would be transformed into someone I did not recognize. I would feel almost flu like symptoms with body aches, not to mention the outflow of blood was unimaginable. Now, 10 years later I’ve been on Progesterone for years and what a difference! I also take a DIM supplement as per my doctor. Thank you Dr. Hotze for all your help!

• Hotze Team

Dear Tianja,

We are so glad to hear how well you are doing on progesterone! That is wonderful news. Congratulations on taking charge of your health. Thank you so much for sharing your story. It will inspire other women.

• Jennifer Johnson

Dear Debbie,

DIM, the natural compound derived from cabbage-related vegetables, such as broccoli and cauliflower, has been shown to contain various properties that aid in hormone function in both men and women. Additionally, DIM is a superantioxidant that may promote optimal cell health, reducing the risk of developing certain cancers, such as breast, colon and prostate cancer. Here is a link to DIM on our Hotze Vitamins website: http://www.hotzevitamins.com/dim-100mg-60-softgels.html For more information, please contact one of our vitamin consultants at 281-646-1659. Thank you for your question!

3. Cheryl

I had a tubal ligation during my last c section at age 40 when having my daughter. It has,been the worst mistake of my life. So many things are different. I wish I could just feel like myself, instead of complete exhaustion, headaches, weight gain in midrift, horrific cycles. I too suffer from endometriosis and had excision a year ago. I was put on birth control in attempts to keep it at bay. I asked my Dr this question. If estrogen fuels endo, and endo produces it’s own estrogen then wouldn’t adding an estrogen birth control only increase an already dominant situation? Also, a friend of mine got on bio progesterone and is feeling better and sleeping great, so I inquired about why I didn’t need progesterone? I have always had to supplement during pregnancy and suffer pcos. The Dr told,me that progesterone would be far worse for endometriosis. So confused. Thank you for this article. I am so sick of everyone in my family telling me that I just need a hysterectomy which does NOT cute endo, and that there is no way having a tubal ligation changed my body at all, comparing me to themselves or others.

• Hotze Team

Dear Cheryl,

We are so sorry about your bad experience after your tubal ligation. This often occurs after women have a hysterectomy, as well. A tubal ligation can definitely affect your hormones and cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

We don’t believe that birth control pills are the answer. Your symptoms indicate that you could have hormone decline and imbalance after childbirth and your tubal ligation, and a hysterectomy is not the answer either, because you will still need to replenish and balance your hormones to relieve your symptoms and feel good again. Progesterone can actually help with endometriosis, as well as your other symptoms.

Please consider contacting one of our wellness consultants at 281-698-8698 for more information. We would be happy to help you balance your hormones and get your health back – and yourself back. Our doctors have been helping women with these types of symptoms for years with great success. We wish you great health.

4. Sunnie

So do you recommend getting your tubes tied? What other permanent birth control options do you recommend? Thanks for the input!

• Hotze Team

Dear Jodi,

Thank you for your question. It is possible to have a tubal ligation reversed, however please check with your surgeon as to the details of this type of surgery and for more information.

You can obtain relief of your symptoms by restoring and balancing your hormones with bioidentical hormones. If we may be of service to you, please do not hesitate to call our wellness consultants for a complimentary consultation at 281-698-8698. We will be happy to help you!

To your health,

Hotze Team

5. Jody

Had my tubes tied 26 years ago and then had a hysterectomy 2 years ago I have had discharge from my breasts the entire time at first it was somewhat clear now it’s more like milk I have never breast fed my kids I am not sure if I am going through menopause as I no longer have a period I have had hot flashes since I was 35 just not sure if this is normal anything from you would be helpful. Thank you

• Hotze Team

Dear Jody,

Thank you for your question. If you have had a hysterectomy, then you are in menopause. If your ovaries were left in, then the blood supply to them has been compromised and they may not function as well, causing you to have symptoms.

Please take our symptom checker quiz to help identify the underlying cause of your symptoms: https://www.hotzehwc.com/symptom-checker/

You would need to see a physician for a comprehensive evaluation in order to help you find out what is going on. If you would like a complimentary wellness consultation with our wellness consultants, please private message us your contact information, or give us a call at 281-698-8698. We will be happy to help you.

To your health,

Hotze Team

6. Toppan

You actually get your progesterone from the egg or ovom itself. Every month you build the lining and an egg is released . If i dosnt vet fertilizsd it disolves and the progesterone in the egg is released and causes your period. And then the cycle begins again. It really maks sense why tubal litigation may be causing the esrrigen dominance alng with the phyto estrogen and supplementation given by doctors over the years. My question is, if they knew this, why do they perform this operation? And why do they treat us in such in unintuitive counter productive fashion?

7. Nicole

Had my tubes cut/temived 9 months ago after my 3rd pregnancy. I’m 29, stable at 136 lbs (6 lbs heavier than I was before pregnancy) and have not taken birth control in over 2 years. Since the tubes we’re “tied” I have had migraines like crazy, mood swings more often than I used to when I was a teenager, more aches and pains, foggy cognitive functions (like I’m not entirely present… Almost staring into space more than seems normal), my period is all out of whack, my appetite has vanished, I have trouble sleeping, feel tired all the time…. I haven’t had my levels tested but I’m fairly certain I’ve been estrogen dominant since I hit puberty at 8 yrs old! I’ve even noticed nail fungi taking root more easily so I assume my immune system has taken a hit too…. 🙁 Feels like I’m a stranger in my own body…. 3/25/18

• Hotze Team

Dear Nicole,

We are so sorry to hear what you are going through. After having a tubal ligation, it is common to experience symptoms of hormone decline and imbalance. Please don’t lose hope – you can resolve your symptoms by restoring hormone balance with bioidentical hormones. Take our symptom checker to find out what could be the cause of your symptoms: https://www.hotzehwc.com/symptom-checker/

You need to work with a doctor who can help you restore hormonal balance. If we may be of service to you, please call our Wellness Consultants for a complimentary consultation at 281-698-8698. We will be happy to help you.

To your health,

Hotze Team

8. Gladys

Background: I am 30 years old, female, and have never had a child. I have had two previous early-term miscarriages and a mifiprex abortion (at 9 weeks.)
    I have surgically confirmed endometriosis and “thin” variant PCOS.
    I have been on micronor- norethindrone, a progesterone-only birth control, for about 5 years to control endometriosis.
    I sought and received a bilateral salpingectomy (full cauterization/removal of the fallopian tubes) within the last 6 months as I have chosen not to have children.

After my bilateral sap, my breasts swelled about half a size larger and stayed like that. I’m filling out bras and shirts better than I have in the past.
    The goal of my progesterone birth control is to avoid periods entirely, as this helps control endometriosis. Despite this, I dealt with spotting and breakthrough bleeding quite regularly in the last 5 years. Since my surgery, I have found that the same dosage of birth control as always now completely controls my periods with almost no spotting at all.

I do not know why my experience is so different than most of the women’s comments here. Perhaps it is that I have progesterone replacement already in the form of my birth control. Hopefully this information is useful to someone.

• Hotze Team

Dear Gladys,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Real progesterone is not used in birth control pills. Progesterone promotes pregnancy. It may be a progestin, which is not progesterone. Birth control pills contain progestins. Oral contraceptives pose far greater health risks even beyond potentially fatal blood clots such as increased risk for developing certain types of cancer, including breast cancer. Unfortunately, many doctors mistakenly use the words “progesterone” and “progestin” interchangeably, when in fact they are not the same at all.

Today so many young girls are put on birth control pills in their early teens to combat the symptoms of PMS and irregular periods, but this does not solve the underlying problem and can only cause them more harm in the future. Birth control pills contain the synthetic hormones estrogen and progestin (not progesterone), and some contain only progestin. They are created to stop your body from ovulating and prevent the egg from being released from the ovary, which negatively affects hormone balance. Normally, when an egg is released from your ovary at ovulation, progesterone is also released. Since birth control pills stop you from ovulating, they prevent this release of progesterone. This is where the problem lies.

Here is an article that may be helpful:

If we may be of service to you, please contact our wellness consultants for a complimentary wellness consultation at 281-698-8698.

To your health,