Have you ever failed at achieving a New Year’s Resolution? If you said yes, you’re not alone! Some of the statistics out there show as little as only 8% of people succeed – YIKES! The start of a New Year feels like a new beginning, a fresh start. It seems like the perfect time to set some goals, decide on changing old habits, or pick up some new habits.
Before your mind pulls you into the familiar thinking of making another New Year’s Resolution only to feeling like a failure within the next couple months, I encourage you to PUSH THE PAUSE BUTTON. Instead, consider setting aside 30-60 minutes to complete these 7 STEPS that can set you up for success in 2018:
1. PROUD OF: Write out a list of 5-10 things you feel really proud of accomplishing in 2017. It could be something as tangible as getting into a new home or intangible such as creating a new habit of setting aside 10 minutes every morning to journal or plan out your day. 1. PROUD OF: Write out a list of 5-10 things you feel really proud of accomplishing in 2017. It could be something as tangible as getting into a new home or intangible such as creating a new habit of setting aside 10 minutes every morning to journal or plan out your day.
2. CELEBRATE: Celebrate those wins!! Recognizing success creates more success!
3. WRITE 3-5 OF YOUR TOP GOALS or intentions you had for this year that you didn’t reach. Maybe it was, “I didn’t lose the 20 lbs I wanted to lose” or “I didn’t increase my income like I hoped I would.”
4. STILL LOVE: Next to each one of those things, put a check mark next to the ones that you would still love to accomplish. The key word here is LOVE not “would like to accomplish” or “interested in accomplishing.”
5. 2018 GOALS: Write out the 2-3 top goals or resolutions you would love to achieve in 2018. Are you taking some of the ones you checked from 2017? Do those need any refining or is there any way you can make them more specific?
6. MY LEARNING: For the ones you checked in step 4 that you would love to accomplish, write below them what you learned about yourself this year that could support you in setting up some different strategies to execute them in 2018. For example, maybe you wanted to lose weight and started exercising and eating differently and then fell off the wagon after a couple months. Maybe you learned that you fell off because you needed support, so in 2018 you are going to plug into a like-minded group that is working on health or losing weight, join a gym, or hire a personal trainer. You didn’t reach the goal or change the habit because there was something you needed to do differently. a. What could you have done differently to have created a different result? b. What will you put in place in 2018 to support your success?
7. 2018 STRATEGY: Next to each of your 2018 goals or resolutions, write down 2-3 action steps or strategies, knowing what you know now, that will offer you a successful outcome. Here is an example with four strategies:
Goal: Get to ideal body weight of 185 lbs (lose 30 lbs)
- Join a weekly walking club.
- Make one new friend who has the health I aspire to have and get together every two weeks.
- Work with a life coach, nutritionist, or personal trainer.
- Only buy and have nutritious food options for my house.
Let’s not just wander into 2018 with hopes and wishes alone, let’s review the feedback from our results in 2017 to help shape our action for this coming year!
Achieve Your Goals with Hotze Health Advantage
Do you need a little help getting started with your goals? Erica has carved out a few complimentary 2018 Strategy Sessions to help you get clear and focused for the new year. Spots are limited so email her at [email protected] today to schedule your coaching call.
Click the below button to get your 7 Steps to a Successful 2018 Worksheet Guide now.